Saturday 27 April 2013

Basement Renovations

This past week my Dad came down and we worked in my basement. We want to create more finished space so that the kids can have a play room that doesn't need to be kept perfectly clean.  The images below are what my basement looked like a few weeks before he came.


As with all basements it was a drop place for all kinds of stuff.  Every once in a while we push the junk back to make some sort of playing area for the kids.  This was already a reduced amount from when we first moved in.  So I started by taking a lot of stuff to the thrift store and getting rid of broken toys and other things to the garbage.  So a few weeks of sorting and relocating all this stuff this is what the basement looked like when dad arrived.



We purchased a vanity and a toilet to help us figure out the framing and spacing for the bathroom.  With this as a clean slate and 4 or 5 trips to Home Depot we were able to frame out the entire basement.  We put in a furnace / utility room, an off season cloths closet, a bathroom, small play area and a television room.  It was the best use of space we could come up with.  I am currently working on putting in the electrical but this is what it looked like after my dad left.


I am running all the wires now and then I will be getting an electrical inspection.  Not much to show until the drywall is up so that will be a few weeks yet.  The next big adventure will be putting in a fan in the bathroom and figuring out some way of venting it to the outside.  Punching holes through outside walls is always an adventure.

Well that is what I have been up to this week.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great Matt. Wanna come help me with my laundry room when you are done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you probably know this is more of my Dad's handy work then my own. I am really happy with the progress so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big project! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big project but the framing and the electrical is more my speed. I think you have a better flavour for the interior design of things. My big project tonight is punching a hole in the outside wall to vent the bathroom ceiling fan. Electrical inspection booked for Thursday.

      Delete